Summer is the time for fun in the sun but your skin may pay the price if you over-do and don’t take good care of it. Excess UV exposure can lead to sunburns, peeling skin and even skin cancer. How do you care for your skin, the largest organ of your body, and still enjoy all the outdoor time you crave? Here are some tips to keep your skin healthy and glowing all year round.
- Sunscreen is important. Unfortunately most commercial sunscreens contain chemicals that can be toxic and cause problems of their own in the long run. Look for natural sunscreens that contain things like Zinc Oxide to block those harmful UV rays. You may need to reapply them every 90 minutes or so and always reapply after swimming. You should wear sunscreen when outdoors for prolonged periods even on overcast or cloudy days because the UV rays come through clouds as well. There are apps for your phones that will let you know what the UV level is in your area on any given day. They are a handy way to judge how much sunscreen to use and how often you need to reapply.
- Your skin may not be dry and flakey like it is in the winter but it can still use a good moisturizer in the summer. Especially if you do end up getting sunburned or even after a shower. You will want a lighter moisturizer than you need in the winter months though so you don’t end up feeling greasy. Aloe Vera gel is really good for your skin and can help soothe and heal sunburn. Using a lighter oil such as grapefruit seed oil can also be a great moisturizer after being out in the sun. If you do use a lotion look for one with healthy, natural ingredients, not one full of chemicals.
- Exfoliate your skin regularly. Using a natural scrub in the shower can remove dead skin cells and make your skin glow. The cheapest and easiest is Baking Soda. That’s right, just baking soda, rubbed on your skin and then washed off is very healthy for your skin and leaves it feeling soft and smooth.
- Healthy skin is an inside job. Make sure you hydrate with pure water, healthy teas and lots of fruits. Also make sure you are taking some kind of fish oil supplement. Every cell in your body is made up of the lipids found in fish oils and your skin is no exception. Supplying your body with a healthy source of those lipids will ensure your new skin cells are made from healthy material.
- Getting enough sleep really goes a long way towards keeping your skin looking refreshed and healthy. You should be getting 7-8 hours of quality sleep per night. This will help your body heal, recover and rejuvenate. It will also help you avoid dark circles around your eyes.
- It may go without saying for those into natural health but avoid tanning beds. They deliver concentrated doses of UV light that can wreak havoc with your skin and pose a serious health risk by upping your chances of getting skin cancer. Tanning sprays are also full of toxic ingredients and should be avoided. Don’t sacrifice your health to have a tan. It’s not worth it.
Share these 7 healthy summer skin tips with a friend on Facebook & Twitter!